FAQ - Frequently asked questions

On this page you’ll find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about our travel insurance. If you can’t find the question you’re looking for, just give us a call on 0330 400 1353 – our agents will do their best to give you the information you need.

What is the maximum age you can insure up to?

Our single trip and annual multi trip policies can cover travellers up to the age of 75. Our backpacker insurance can cover up to age 65.

Do you only insure UK residents?

Yes, we can only cover those who have been living in the UK for at least six of the last 12 months. We define the UK as England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.

Can I buy insurance with you after I’ve left the UK?

If you’ve already left the UK then unfortunately we will not be able to cover you.

What is a pre-existing medical condition?

Travelinsurance.co.uk considers any condition that you have received medical advice, treatment or medication for to be a pre-existing medical condition. You must let us know if you have such a condition, and you can do this via our online medical screening system or by calling us on 0330 400 1353.

Do you cover pre-existing medical conditions?

There are many different pre-existing medical conditions that we can cover, however in order for us to give a definite answer regarding your particular condition you would need to complete our medical screening process either online or over the phone.

Do I have to pay extra to cover a pre-existing medical condition?

We can cover many pre-existing medical conditions at no extra cost, however some more serious conditions may require an additional premium to be paid. Once you’ve completed the medical screening process, you’ll be told whether your condition can be covered and whether you need to pay an extra premium.

Can I still buy my insurance with you if I am refused cover for my pre-existing medical condition?

If we are unable to offer cover for your pre-existing medical condition, you can still purchase insurance with us. Any claims unrelated to your condition can be made as normal, however anything related to the condition will be excluded. Similarly, if you are offered cover for a pre-existing condition at an additional cost and decide to purchase the insurance without paying the extra charge, you will only be covered for claims unrelated to your condition.

My medical condition hasn’t been diagnosed yet. Can I still get cover for it?

Unfortunately we are unable to cover any condition that is still undiagnosed.

If I’m diagnosed with a medical condition after I’ve purchased my policy, will I be covered?

You must notify us straight away if you’re diagnosed with a new medical condition by calling our customer service team on 0330 400 1353. An agent will ask you some questions about your condition, and will then inform you of whether we are able to cover you.

Do I still need travel insurance if I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

While the EHIC is a very useful thing to have if you’re travelling within the EU, it should not be seen as a substitute for a comprehensive travel insurance policy. It will entitle you to free or reduced cost emergency treatment in participating countries, however it won’t cover things like private treatment and repatriation.

I'm pregnant – will I still be covered to travel?

If you’re pregnant, you’ll be covered as normal up to the end of the 32nd week of your pregnancy, as long a doctor confirms that it is fine for you to travel. From the beginning of the 33rd week onwards you will no longer be covered for claims relating to pregnancy and normal childbirth, however you will be covered should any of the following complications arise:

  • Toxaemia (toxins in the blood)
  • Gestational hypertension (high blood pressure arising as a result of pregnancy)
  • Pre-eclampsia (where you develop high blood pressure, carry abnormal fluid and have protein in your urine during the second half of pregnancy)
  • Ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that develops outside of the uterus)
  • Molar pregnancy or hydatidiform mole (a pregnancy in which a tumour develops from the placental tissue)
  • Post-partum haemorrhage (excessive bleeding following childbirth)
  • obstetric cholestasis
  • Retained placenta membrane (part or all of the placenta is left behind in the uterus after delivery)
  • Placental abruption (part or all of the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus)
  • Hyperemesis gravidarum (excessive vomiting as a result of pregnancy)
  • Placenta praevia (when the placenta is in the lower part of the uterus and covers part or all of the cervix)
  • Stillbirth
  • Miscarriage
  • Emergency Caesarean section
  • A termination needed for medical reasons
  • Premature birth more than 8 weeks (or 16 weeks if you know you are having more than one baby) before the expected delivery date

In addition, if you know that you’ll be more than 33 weeks pregnant or more when you purchase your insurance policy, you will not be covered under cancellation for that trip.

Which countries do you cover travel to?

As long as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) does not advise against travel to the country you are going to, you will be covered to travel there. When purchasing a single trip policy, you will be asked to select the specific country you are travelling to. For annual multi trip and backpacker policies, you will be asked to choose the area you are travelling to. The areas are as follows:

Area 1: Europe, including countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea (except Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Libya)

Area 2: Worldwide, excluding USA, the Caribbean and Canada

Area 3: Australia and New Zealand

Area 4: Worldwide, including USA, the Caribbean and Canada

For annual multi trip policies, you can select either area 1 or area 4. For backpacker policies, you can select any of the four areas.

Which countries do you class as Europe?

We class the following countries as Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, The Azores, The Balearic Islands, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, The Canary Islands, The Channel Islands, Corsica, Crete, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Kosovo, Lapland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira, Malta, Moldavia, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Sardinia, Serbia, Sicily, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine and the Vatican City.

Can I change my European annual multi trip policy so that it includes other destinations?

European annual multi trip policies can be upgraded to include worldwide cover for an additional premium. To arrange this, please contact our customer services team on 0330 400 1353.

Are trips within the UK covered?

As long as there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked UK accommodation, then we can offer you cover. We define UK trips as being within England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. If you are travelling to the Channel Islands or the Republic of Ireland then this would be classed as Europe.

How do I buy a travel insurance policy?

You can buy your insurance with Travelinsurance.co.uk either online or over the phone. Click here to get a quote online, or call 0330 400 1353 to speak to a member of our sales team.

Do I enter my current age or the age I will be when I go away?

When getting a quote, you should enter the age you are at the time rather than the age you will be when you travel. It does not matter if your age changes between the time you purchase your policy and the time you go away.

What start date should I select for my policy?

If you’re buying a single trip or backpacker policy, the start date you select should be the date that you leave for your trip. For these policy types, cancellation cover will begin from the purchase date, not the start date. For annual multi trip policies, cancellation will begin on the policy start date, not the purchase date, so you should choose your start date accordingly.

What methods can I use to pay for my insurance?

You can pay for your policy by credit or debit card. We accept the following cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Switch/Maestro and Solo.

Is my payment secure?

Yes – your payment details are encrypted to ensure that no one else can read them. You should look for the padlock icon on the payment page as well https:// in the address bar.

What is IPT? Why is it part of the price?

IPT stands for Insurance Premium Tax. It is a tax charged on all general insurance policies sold within the UK, including travel insurance, and it therefore forms part of the total payment price.

Can I cancel my policy after I’ve bought it?

There is a 14 day cooling off period after you’ve purchased your insurance, during which time you can cancel your policy and get a full refund. This is as long as you have not travelled or made any claims on the policy, and your policy is not a single trip policy that expires within a month of the purchase date. You must contact us in writing to request the cancellation of your policy, and can do so by emailing cancellations@Travelinsurance.co.uk, or by writing to the following address:

Customer Service Department
Insure & Go Insurance Services Ltd
One Victoria Street
Bristol Bridge

How soon will I receive my refund?

You will receive your refund within 30 days of the date you write to us to cancel your policy.

Do I need to have my policy documents posted to me?

No – a print-out of your insurance certificate is fine to take away with you as proof of your insurance.

How soon will I receive my policy documents?

Your documents will be emailed to you as soon as you have completed the purchase process. If you have opted to have your documents posted, you should receive them within 5-7 working days.

What documents can I expect to receive in the post?

The pack you receive in the post will contain an insurance certificate, a policy card and a policy wording booklet. You should take all of these things away with you. If you have declared medical conditions, or have purchased additional cover for a valuable item or a hazardous activity, you will be sent confirmation of this separately.

There’s more than one person insured on my policy but I’ve only received one card. Why is this?

The insurance certificate is your proof of insurance, not your policy card. The card is a handy way of keeping your policy details and emergency phone numbers with you, but it is not essential that each person on the policy has their own individual card. However, additional cards can be purchased at a cost of £2 each by calling our customer services team on 0330 400 1353.

Can I buy a single trip policy for a one-way trip?

Yes – our single trip policies can cover one-way trips. Instead of ending when you return home, cover will end 24 hours after you leave immigration control in your final destination.

Can I buy single trip cover for a UK holiday?

Provided that there is a minimum of 25 miles radius between your home and your pre-arranged and booked UK accommodation, a single trip policy can be purchased to cover it. The same rule applies to annual multi trip policies.

How long can I purchase a single trip policy for?

If you are aged 65 or under, a single trip policy can be purchased to cover a trip of up to 365 days in length. If you are aged 66 or over, the maximum trip length we can cover you for is 31 days.

I’m going away several times during the next year – should I purchase an annual multi trip policy?

While we cannot advise you on which policy to take out, an annual multi trip policy could work out cheaper if each of your trips is 45 days or less.

How many holidays will an annual multi trip policy cover me for?

Our annual multi trip policies cover an unlimited number of trips during the time your policy is valid. If you have a Basic policy, the maximum trip length you’ll be covered for is 31 days. If you have a Premium policy (and are aged 65 or under), the maximum trip length you’ll be covered for is 45 days. For over 65s, the maximum trip length is 31 days, regardless of the cover level selected.

Can everyone on an annual multi trip policy travel independently?

Yes, independent travel is allowed on annual multi trip policies. However, children aged under 18 must be dropped off and picked up by a responsible adult aged 21 or over.

Will you notify me when my annual multi trip policy expires?

Yes, we will send you a reminder approximately 21 days before your policy is due to expire, along with a renewal quote. If you are eligible, we may also offer to automatically renew your policy for another year.

Do I have to be going backpacking in order to qualify for a backpacker policy?

Although the backpacker policy is well-suited to those going backpacking, you do not have to be going backpacking in order to purchase such a policy. It is designed to cover an extended trip of up to 18 months – how you carry your luggage during that time is up to you!

Can I return home without invalidating my backpacker policy?

Travelinsurance.co.uk backpacker policies include one home visit. This home visit allows you to return home once for up to 14 days without invalidating your policy. The cover will simply pause while you’re back home, and begin again when you leave to resume your trip.

Can I travel to more than one country on a backpacker policy?

Yes, a backpacker policy will cover you to travel to multiple destinations. You’ll be asked to choose one of four areas (Europe, Worldwide, excluding USA, the Caribbean and Canada, Australia and New Zealand, Worldwide, including USA, the Caribbean and Canada) when you purchase your policy, and you’ll then be covered to travel to any country within that area (provided it is safe to travel to).

What happens if I decide to stay abroad for longer than I originally intended?

Backpacker policies can be extended while you’re still travelling, up to the maximum trip duration of 18 months, as long as your health hasn’t changed and you’re not awaiting the settlement of a claim or planning to make a claim. To extend your policy, call us on 0330 400 1353.